Monday, July 14, 2008

Our pigeon is a girl...




My husband naturally assumed the pigeon that flew the front door was a boy. She flew in the house in January, and has been here since that warm Sunday afternoon. We've taken it to the vet to make sure she was healthy.


Fast forward to last week:

She was acting funny. We are use to letting her out of her cage. She likes to follow my husband around like a duck. She likes him. She will fly to him and land on his shoulders. Actually, she likes me too. I say, "Here kitty kitty." I snap my fingers and she'll come.

Last week, she was just grumpy.

She laid an egg! We were excited, and tried to figure out the last time she went flying on her own. We do get her wings clipped, but they grow back so fast. She will 'hang out' in the backyard with us. We are careful not to have the puppy or the kitten around. The 15 yr old cat could care less.

So I had to google about pigeons and babies. Two days later, she lays another egg. Again, we think... when was the last time she went out. We questioned everyone (the kids). Then we realized that the eggs were not fertilized. We were sad, but relieved. I had to explain to the kids about the birds and the bees .... well, maybe just the birds.

The eggs are about 1.5 inch long. We cleaned her cage and took out the eggs. She seems like her old self now. Of course, I had to take a photograph of the pigeon eggs.




No comments: